Explore The Disney Universe
“ALL OUR DREAMS CAN COME TRUE, IF WE HAVE THE COURAGE TO PURSUE THEM.” – WALT DISNEY
“I KNEW WHEN I MET YOU AN ADVENTURE WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.” – WINNIE THE POOH
90 Years of Mickey Mouse
90 Years ago, Disney released Steamboat Willie on November 18, 1928, since then, Mickey Mouse has been the mascot for The Walt Disney Company. On Sunday, November 4th, a two-hour prime-time special, called “Mickey’s 90th Spectacular” will air. It will feature all-star musical performances, inspiring tributes, and never-seen-before short films.
Walt Disney Inspired
Walt Disney continues to inspire and influence people 50 years after he departed this world. His legacy has not only embodied American values but has led the world toward an accepted set of norms that define human decency. As a result of this, the Walt Disney Corporation has grown into the most powerful entertainment company in the world operating across 4 segments: Media Networks, Parks and Resorts, Studio Entertainment, and Consumer Products & Interactive Media.
7 Ways That Walt Disney Inspired the World
1. He grew up poor and as a result his family lived in Chicago, IL, Marceline, MO, and Kansas City, MO. These places left a mark on Walt that can be seen throughout the parks today.
2. He lied about his age to join the military. He was 16 years old when he entered World War I. He served as a Red Cross ambulance driver.
3. His first studio, Laugh-O-Gram, went bankrupt. For any leader in business, whether the person is entrepreneurial or not can use this experience to say that one doesn’t give up because something didn’t work out the way one would have hoped.
4. Mickey Mouse was created as the result of Walt’s failure. He had created Oswald the Lucky Rabbit which was distributed by Universal Pictures and became very popular. However, instead of increasing Disney’s production fees, his client attempted to force him into a pay cut. As a result of Walt’s stance on the matter, he lost the rights to the popular character. Disney created another animated character: Mortimer Mouse. His wife, Lillian, suggested renaming him Mickey, which sounded happier.
5. Walt risked it all by mortgaging his house in order to create Snow White.
6. Disney holds the record for the most Academy Awards and Oscar nominations.
7. Walt Disney built Disneyland and saw it as a huge disappointment. Disney said, “How was he supposed to fashion a flawless dream environment, with urban blight as the backdrop?” This resulted in creating Walt Disney World.
… and this is just the beginning!!!
The original Disney park, Disneyland and sister park California Adventure are located in Anaheim, California, USA. They sit directly on opposite ends of the Esplanade. Single park and Park Hopper passes are both sold. Multi-day passes are sold at discounted rates.
Disneyland Dedication “To all who come to this happy place – welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, dreams and the hard facts that have created America … with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”
– Walter E. Disney, July 17, 1955 –
Disneyland: “The Happiest Place on Earth,” covers 85 acres and has been beloved by guests for over 60 years, since its opening on July 17, 1955. The park is segmented into 8 themed lands: Main Street, U.S.A., Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Mickey’s Toontown, Frontierland, Critter Country, New Orleans Square and Adventureland. Coming in the Summer of 2019, Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge.
California Adventure: This 72 acres park based on the history and culture of California through the eyes of Disney opened on February 8, 2001. Here, the stories of Disney, Pixar, and Marvel come to life among various California inspired locations. California Adventure consists of 8 exciting lands: Buena Vista Street, Hollywood Land, A Bug’s Land, Cars Land, Pacific Wharf, Grizzly Peak, Paradise Gardens Park, and Pixar Pier.
PIXAR PIER IS NOW OPEN
COMING SOON TO DISNEYLAND
STAR WARS GALAXY’S EDGE
OPENING SUMMER 2019
Disney’s second location, Walt Disney World, near Orlando, Florida, opened, 5 years after Walt Disney passed away, on October 1, 1971. The entertainment complex resides in Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista, Florida, comprised of four theme parks, two water parks, more than 25 Disney Resort hotels, golf courses, entertainment venues, and even a camping resort. Single park and Park Hopper passes are both sold. Multi-day passes are sold at discounted rates.
Walt Disney World Dedication “Walt Disney World is tribute to the philosophy and life of Walter Elias Disney … and to the talents, the dedication, and the loyalty of the entire Disney organization that made Walt Disney’s dream come true. May Walt Disney World bring Joy and Inspiration and New Knowledge to all who come to this happy place … a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh and play and learn – together.”
– Roy O. Disney, October 25, 1971 –
Magic Kingdom: “The Most Magical Place on Earth!” covers 107 acres and has been beloved by guests for over 45 years, since it’s opening on October 1, 1971. The park is segmented into 6 themed lands: Main Street U.S.A., Adventureland, Frontierland, Liberty Square, Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios: Inspired by the Golden Age of Hollywood, this park is dedicated to the imagined worlds of film, television, music, and theater. It covers 135 acres and has been entertaining guests for almost 30 years since it’s opening on May 1, 1989. The park is segmented into 6 themed lands: Hollywood Boulevard, Echo Lake, Grand Avenue, Toy Story Land, Animation Courtyard, and Sunset Boulevard. Coming in 2019, Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom: This zoological theme park is the largest theme park in the world. It covers 580 acres and has been entertaining guests for 20 years since it’s opening on April 22, 1998. Walt Disney personally promoted supporting the natural environment and animal conservation. The park is segmented into 7 themed areas: Oasis, Discovery Island, Pandora – The World of Avatar, Africa, Rafiki’s Planet Watch, Asia, and DinoLand U.S.A.
Typhoon Lagoon: The 2nd most visited water park in the world covers 56 acres and has been entertaining guests for 29 years since it’s opening on June 1, 1989. The park is open year-round segmented into 5 areas: Mount Mayday, Hideaway Bay, Typhoon Lagoon, Shark Reef, and Castaway Creek. The Surf Pool is one of the largest wave pools in the world.
Blizzard Beach: The 3rd most visited water park in the world covers 66 acres and has been entertaining guests for 23 years since it’s opening on April 1, 1995. The park is open year-round segmented into 3 colored slopes: Green, Purple, Red. Summit Plummet is the highest (120 ft.) and fastest (55mph) flume ride in the United States.